October 04, 2005

Impulsive Asshole

I fumbled with the words. I tried to talk, but all that came out resembelled gibberish. I lacked the smoothness to tell her how I felt. I couldn't describe the magic that was in her singing and guitar playing, nor could I describe her beauty that was like a star filled....fuck it. All I could say was, "Good show."

And her response was to smile and say, "Thanks for coming."

"No, problem." No problem at all. I didn't even introduce myself.

I exited the smoky bar and walked along the dead leaves that filled the streets. The smell reminded me of all the times I spent playing afterschool as a kid. For some reason all I remember is the fall.

All the neighborhood college slash punk kids were flying about on their track bikes. Maybe to some party. A party where I would not know anyone because all of my friends were too old to party. And I am old too, and I still live in a college town.

I picked up a stick and threw it into some punk rock kid's spokes. And he went flying into a telephone pole. I bet he was in a rock band. I am not in a rock band, I dabble with the guitar, but never took any lessons.

"What the fuck man. That was not cool."

A bunch of kids smoking pot were hanging out on a porch and saw the whole thing. shit

One ran up to the unconscious kid and checked on him.

"He is still breathing. Someone better call and ambulance....and the police."

"Fuck that, lets get that asshole."

As I heard that, and with my adrenaline pumping, I ran away as fast as I could.

I flew into my house locking the door behind me. I peaked out of my front window, looking through a small crackin the curtains. I saw the kids, on their bikes, one kid through his down and found a brick. I wondered what he was doing and then backed away as the brick came smashing in through the glass.

"Fucking asshole. I am going to burn your fucking place down."

"I'm sorry guys...it was a mistake, an accident. I did not mean to... "

"That is bullshit! Come out asshole, think you are tough now?"

The police came at that moment and arrested all of the kids and that kid that "fell" on the telephone pole was alright too. I was charged with something, I forget. My dad paid for the lawyer, top notch too, and I was found innocent.

A year later at a different bar, I saw that same songstress again. When I approached her this time, I was ready to introduce myself. I walked up with confidence and said, "Hey, My name i--"

"Your name is Nate, right?"

"Yes! Who told you?"

She shook her head and said, "Not cool man, not cool."